Monday, June 14, 2010

Listening with my heart!

We listen with our ears every day! We hear the birds chirping, the cars driving by, the thunder in the sky, dogs barking, and even children playing. Listening with our heart is an aquired skill. Why should we even try to do this? Because it is how we will "listen to God"! He speaks to us this way. When we take the time to stay still and be patient to allow God to work through us and in us, He will speak to us through our heart. For me personally, this has been a very trying experience. I am not a patient person. I have a hard time just sitting and waiting. I am not a super busy person by any means, my mind just tends to wander when I sit and try to wait on God. And my mind does not wander on things that are pleasant by any means. I have a very active imagination and it takes me down roads I do not wish to go. This is something I struggle with on a daily basis. I have trouble falling asleep at night because of this. I try to listen to music when I am goin to sleep so I can focus my mind on good things and that helps. I have tried to have music playing while I am praying and waiting on God, but that also draws my mind away from what I am supposed to be doing! I am learning, however, that practice makes perfect. I have been able to redirect my thinking to bring myself back to waiting momentarily, but I always go back to thinking about something else. So, I guess it is back to practice, practice, practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment